Cogito, ergo sum... (I think, therefore I am)

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Unsecured webcams via Google!

Got this interesting tidbit from BoingBoing:

Use this search string below with Google, and you will find dozens (hundreds?) of unsecured webcam feeds (most seem to be security cams).

inurl:"ViewerFrame?Mode="

Click here for the Google search.
Click here for a forum discussion regarding this topic.

I was able to find some security cams for warehouses, some in people's homes, some in daycares, factories, labs, classrooms. The possibilities are endless, and Google is awesome!

On a further note, here's another interesting query on Google. It returns the unsecured Admin page for phpMyAdmin, which is sort of like Enterprise Manager for SQL Server, meaning that you can add tables, create databases, delete rows, and what not.

The lesson here is that you shouldn't leave anything unsecured on the web. Google is so powerful it can find all that. There are cases where financial documents have been indexed, corporate data has been found lying open. Just because the document doesn't have any external or internal link doesn't mean it can't be found. Beware the power of Google! I love it!

3 Comments:

  • "Use this search string below with Google, and you will find dozens (hundreds?) of unsecured webcam feeds"

    547, to be precise. A couple of those I tried prompted for a password, but most of them didn't. In a few minutes time I looked into an empty living room in Japan at night, gazed out over an empty parking lot in the same country, and watched two people wait for, then get on, a bus somewhere in daytime Europe. Man, Google really is something. That was great.

    By Blogger Doug Thacker, at 3:31 PM  

  • I checked it at the time you posted the comment and I got 745 results. Maybe you wrote it backwards? Now I have 2,240 results. I wonder what's causing the change?

    By Blogger Khurram, at 4:14 PM  

  • Dude, I get paid 12.95/hr to watch these cameras and you're doing it for free? Expect a visit from an IUSO representative soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home